The benefits of regular sauna bathing are well documented — particularly in Finnish, Estonian, and more broadly Scandinavian cultures for thousands of years (dating back to Finnish settlers).
Sauna use and culture has many aspects that are great to learn about if you're at the beginning of your new lifelong appreciation and participation in this ancient activity that is so beneficial for overall health and wellness.
The Finnish Way: finding courage, wellness and happiness through the Power of Sisu. Katja Pantzar.
This book is an engaging and practical guided tour of the simple and nature-inspired ways that Finns stay happy and healthy with a very powerful sauna culture. This book includes a detailed explanation the powerful concept of sisu, or everyday courage.
• Movement as medicine: How walking, biking and swimming every day are good for what ails us--and best done outside the confines of a gym
• Natural mood boosters: Cold water swimming, steamy saunas, and other ways to alleviate stress, anxiety, insomnia, and depression
• Forest therapy: Why there's no substitute for getting out into nature on a regular basis
• Healthy eating: What the Nordic diet can teach us all about feeding body, mind and soul
• The gift of sisu: Why Finns embrace a special form of courage, grit and determination as a national virtue - and how anyone can dig deeper to survive and thrive through tough times.
If you've ever wondered if there's a better, simpler way to find happiness and good heath, look no further. The Finns have a word for that, and this empowering book shows us how to achieve it.
Sauna Therapy for Detoxification and Healing. Dr Lawrence Wilson.
• sauna physiology,
The Opposite of Cold: The Northwoods Finnish Sauna Tradition. Michael Nordskog
Beginning with the origins of Finnish sauna and how the practice was first brought to North America, and continuing all the way to contemporary design, The Opposite of Cold is an exquisite commemoration of the history, culture, and practice of Finnish sauna in the northwoods. With stunning photographs of unique and historic saunas of the region-including the oldest sauna in North America, incredible surviving saunas from immigrant farmsteads, and the gorgeous contemporary saunas from noted architects-Michael Nordskog and Aaron Hautala unveil the importance and beauty of sauna culture in modern Midwestern life.
(Bonus Children's' Book). The Best Part of a Sauna. Sheryl Peterson.
A youngster is enjoying a summer evening with Grandma and Grandpa at the family lakeshore cabin. From gathering kindling, to building the fire in the old sauna stove to taking a traditional Finnish sauna, this book includes all the memory-making parts of a typical summer night on a north woods lake. It's a book to be enjoyed by all generations.